Thinking of taking a night course? Or finishing those last few classes to get your degree? Lam will reimburse you up to $15,000 per calendar year for job-related coursework—for your current position or a future position at Lam. If you’re completing a master’s degree or PhD, you could be eligible for reimbursement up to $80,000.
What you need to know
- Books (including fees for shipping, handling, and taxes)
- Required course fees and lab fees
- Course materials and supplies (you must submit supporting documentation to be reimbursed for project materials)
- Certain fees (exceptions include meals, lodging/housing, course add/drop fees, travel/transportation, preparatory courses, subscriptions, transcript printing, exam fees)
Any supplemental tuition benefits you receive that do not require repayment (such as grants, scholarships, or Veterans Administration benefits) will be deducted from your reimbursement.
Lam will follow IRS rules regarding tuition reimbursement and withhold any required taxes. If the IRS determines tuition reimbursement is taxable income and Lam has not withheld the required amount, you’re responsible for paying the income tax on your reimbursement.
Advanced degree supplemental assistance
In addition to the standard education assistance benefit, if you complete an advanced degree in an approved program, such as an MBA, master’s program in an engineering or science discipline, or PhD, you may be eligible for supplemental education expense reimbursement up to $80,000 for your advanced degree.
Here’s what you need to know:
- To qualify, you must meet all basic requirements of the standard education assistance program and submit a request for reimbursement along with proof of completion within 90 days of completing the last course for the degree.
- You’ll be reimbursed $15,000 per calendar year until you reach 100% of the total eligible cost of the degree program, or $80,000—whichever is less. Any standard education assistance reimbursements you received for your advanced degree coursework will be included in determining when the 100% or $80,000 thresholds are met.
- The reimbursement threshold of 100% or $80,000 (whichever is less) applies to the total of the combined expenses for multiple advanced degrees.
San Jose State University Master of Science in Engineering
The SJSU Master of Science in Engineering (MSE) program emphasizes systems engineering with advanced studies in transport processes, solid state materials, and control systems. The program was developed by SJSU and customized by Lam Research. The standard education assistance rules apply for reimbursement, except for the following:
- There is no annual maximum reimbursement limit.
- Lam will reimburse you regardless of the grade you receive, but you must submit your grades along with your reimbursement request.
What you need to do
The education assistance process is handled online through Edcor, our education assistance vendor. It’s a two-step process:
- Complete an application on the Edcor site within 60 days after the start date of the course. Your application will be routed to your manager for approval.
- Complete a request for reimbursement on the Edcor site within 90 days after your successful completion of the course. You will be reimbursed by Lam Payroll.
To be reimbursed, you must:
- Receive your manager’s approval for the coursework
- Begin coursework after you’ve completed 90 days of employment
- Be actively employed at the time the coursework begins and still employed when it ends (unless you’re not employed for involuntary reasons)
- Enroll in a course through an education institution accredited by a national accrediting agency
- Maintain satisfactory job performance, as determined by your manager
- Receive a C– or better for undergraduate courses, a B– or better for graduate courses, or a Pass (if the course is offered on a pass/fail basis)
Where to learn more
Details of and requirements for education assistance are discussed at length in the Education Assistance Practice [PDF]. Read the Frequently Asked Questions [PDF] for help with applying. For Edcor customer service, call 855-258-3468, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time.