Thinking of taking that night course? Or finishing those last few classes to get your degree? Don’t let finances hold you back.
You’ll need to pay your tuition up front, but Lam will reimburse you up to $15,000 per calendar year for coursework that improves or helps you maintain your job-related skills—for your current position or a future position at Lam.
To qualify for reimbursement, you must:
- Receive your manager’s approval for the coursework
- Begin coursework on or after you’ve completed 90 days of employment
- Be actively employed at the time the coursework begins, and still employed when it ends (unless you’re not employed for involuntary reasons)
- Enroll in a course through an educational institution accredited by a national accrediting agency
- Maintain satisfactory job performance, as determined by your manager
- Receive a C- or better for undergraduate courses, a B- or better for graduate courses, or a Pass (if the course is offered on a pass/fail basis)
- Submit your reimbursement request by completing the educational assistance online application, including the application agreement and the tax determination questions, within 90 days after the course has ended
Any supplemental tuition benefits you receive that do not require repayment (such as grants, scholarships, or Veterans Administration benefits) will be deducted from your reimbursement.
Lam will follow IRS rules regarding tuition reimbursement and withhold any required taxes. If the IRS determines tuition reimbursement is taxable income and Lam has not withheld the required amount, you’re responsible for paying the income tax on your reimbursement.
- Books (including fees for shipping, handling, and taxes)
- Required course fees and lab fees
- Course materials and supplies (you must submit supporting documentation to be reimbursed for project materials)
- Certain fees (exceptions include meals, lodging/housing, course add/drop fees, travel/transportation, preparatory courses, subscriptions, transcript printing, exam fees)
Advanced Degree Supplemental Assistance
In addition to the standard educational assistance benefit, if you complete an advanced degree in an approved program, such as an MBA, master’s program in an engineering or science discipline, or PhD, you may be eligible for supplemental educational expense reimbursement up to $80,000 for your advanced degree.
Here’s what you need to know:
- To qualify, you must meet all basic requirements of the standard educational assistance program and submit a request for reimbursement along with proof of completion within 90 days of completing the last course for the degree.
- You’ll be reimbursed $15,000 per calendar year until you reach 100% of the total eligible cost of the degree program, or $80,000—whichever is less. Any standard educational assistance reimbursements you received for your advanced degree coursework will be included in determining when the 100% or $80,000 thresholds are met.
- The reimbursement threshold of 100% or $80,000 (whichever is less) applies to the total of the combined expenses for multiple advanced degrees.
San Jose State University Master of Science in Engineering
The SJSU Master of Science in Engineering (MSE) program emphasizes systems engineering with advanced studies in transport processes, solid state materials, and control systems. The program was developed by SJSU and customized by Lam Research. The standard educational assistance rules apply for reimbursement, except for the following:
- There is no annual maximum reimbursement limit.
- Lam will reimburse you regardless of the grade you receive, but you must submit your grades along with your reimbursement request.
What You Need to Do
The educational assistance process is handled online through Edcor, our educational assistance vendor. It’s a two-step process:
- Complete an application on the Edcor site within 60 days after the start date of the course. Your application will be routed to your manager for approval.
- Complete a request for reimbursement on the Edcor site within 90 days after your successful completion of the course. You will be reimbursed by Lam Payroll.
Details of and requirements for educational assistance are discussed at length in the Educational Assistance Practice [PDF]. Read the Frequently Asked Questions [PDF] for help with applying. For Edcor customer service, call 855-258-3468, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time.